ELMSFORD, N.Y. — The Giving Circle of Lower Westchester presented its largest donation to date — $71,000 — to the Food Bank for Westchester to benefit its partner agencies and the Green Thumb fresh produce program.
The Giving Circle’s donation will provide $61,000 to be distributed among 18 not-for-profits that serve the hungry in lower Westchester. The remaining $10,000 will support an expansion of the Food Bank’s Green Thumb Program in lower Westchester.
Thanks to the support of The Giving Circle, grants in the form of food credits with the Food Bank for Westchester will be given in amounts ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 to 18 soup kitchens and food pantries in lower Westchester. The Giving Circle’s $10,000 donation to the Food Bank’s Green Thumb program will help expand the program to two lower Westchester day care centers — The New Rochelle Day Nursery and the Queen’s Daughter’s Day Care Center in Yonkers — so that low-income families can receive a monthly distribution of Green Thumb Bags containing six to eight varieties of fresh fruits and vegetables.
The Giving Circle of Westchester has also committed to an additional $10,000 to support the continuation of the program in these schools in 2016.
“Thanks to our generous members, the Giving Circle continues to fulfill its mission: helping food pantries, soup kitchens and other frontline hunger relief organizations in lower Westchester. It’s been gratifying to watch the Giving Circle rise to address this serious challenge in our local community,” said Eric Nodiff, founder and president.
The following are 2015 Giving Circle of Lower Westchester award winners:
- Bowen Memorial Food Pantry – Mount. Vernon.
- Caritas of Port Chester Food Pantry – Port Chester.
- Dobbs Ferry Food Pantry at South Presbyterian Church.
- Ecumenical Emergency Food Pantry of White Plains.
- First Reformed Church Soup Kitchen – Mount Vernon.
- Grace Church Community Center Soup Kitchen – White Plains.
- Hillside Food Outreach – Pleasantville.
- HOPE Community Services Food Pantry – New Rochelle.
- Masters Helping Hand Food Pantry – New Rochelle.
- OLMC Elmsford Community Food Pantry – Elmsford.
- Port Chester Carver Center Food Pantry.
- Sacred Heart Food for the Hungry – Dobbs Ferry/Yonkers.
- Sacred Heart Food Pantry – Mount Vernon.
- San Andres Episcopal Church Food Pantry – Yonkers.
- St. Peter’s Food Pantry – Yonkers.
- St. Thomas Brown Bag – Mamaroneck.
- Steppin’ Up Yonkers Food Pantry.
- Sts. John, Paul and Clement Church Food Pantry – Mount Vernon.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.