This story has been updated to include more information from residents and firefighters.
GREENBURGH, N.Y. A fire destroyed one Hartsdale apartment on Monday night, causing an estimated $30,000 worth of damage. No injuries were reported.
At about 7:15 p.m., the Hartsdale Fire Department responded to a report that a heater had caught fire in a second-floor apartment at 140 East Hartsdale Avenue, said Deputy Chief Michael F. Vicari. While the fire occurred on the south side of the apartment complex, and did not endanger other units, all residents evacuated the building while the fire department conducted its investigation and maintenance.
Vicari said the damage was contained to one apartment in the six-story complex. The elderly woman who lives inside "is probably not getting back in tonight" because of the damage, he said.
Nearly 50 residents huddled outside with their pets in the 55 degree weather as they waited for the firefighters to secure the area. Lindsey Haubenreich, who lives on the first floor of the north side of the building, was returning from walking her dogs when she saw the fire trucks.
"It's funny that it takes all these trucks," she said. "But they got here really fast."
At approximately 8:50 p.m., the firefighters began letting north-side residents back into their apartments. Residents who live on the south-side of the building, near where the fire occurred, were asked to wait while the air cleared.
A sweater-clad elderly couple from 180 East Hartsdale Avenue saw the commotion from their apartment and wandered over to learn more.
"It's a terrible story," offered the man, who was glad that the fire department was on the scene.
The traffic on East Hartsdale Avenue was backed up several blocks, beginning just north of Lewis Avenue as the firefighters blocked off the areas around both ends of Rockledge Road. Firefighters also directed traffic up and down East Hartsdale Avenue.
The Hartsdale Fire Department responded along with departments from Greenville, Scarsdale and Fairview. Firefighters extinguished the fire around 8 p.m.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.