GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and reports that the planes that hit the World Trade Center flew over the Indian Point nuclear power plants in Buchanan, Greenburgh officials have been in the forefront of calling for the closure of the controversial facilities.
With the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission currently reviewing an application from Entergy to renew permits for the two operating plants for another 20 years, the Greenburgh Town Board earlier this week decided to renew its strong position against Indian Point producing electricity beyond 2015.
"It has been now shown that the metropolitan New York region does not need the power produced by the Indian Point plant," the board's resolution said. "Entergy has applied for 20-year extensions to operate the plants to an age of 60 years when there is no reliable data about the safety of 40 to 60-year-old nuclear power plants. The safety record of Indian Point is among the worst in the country with a substantial number of safety requirements still not fulfilled."
Gov. Andrew Cuomo has continually lobbied against Indian Point and any hiccups at the plant, such as the temporary shut down of Indian Point 3 this week due to combustible gases found in an auxiliary transformer, often trigger an outcry of opponents lashing out at the facility.
Greenburgh Supervisor Paul Feiner said many other municipalities jumped on the anti-Indian Point bandwagon after the town made its feelings known.
"Some local governments around the region are again approving similar resolutions," Feiner said. "This is timely."
The license for Indian Point 2 expires in 2013. Indian Point 3 is licensed to operate until 2015. Approximately 20 million people live within 50 miles of the plants.