HARTSDALE, N.Y. – Gloria Theresa Kelly, a former Hartsdale resident and a Yonkers native, died Dec. 20. She was 85.
She was born April 17, 1927, in Yonkers to Margaret Butler and William Edward Tighe. She attended Yonkers public schools and graduated from Yonkers High School in 1945.
Kelly graduated from the Cochran School of Nursing at St. John's Riverside Hospital in 1948. She worked as a registered nurse at St. John's before the birth of her son and again from 1969 until retiring in the early 1980s.
She married William F. Kelly on Sept. 12, 1953 at St. Peter's Church in Yonkers. They lived in Yonkers until 1964, when they bought their home in Hartsdale.
Kelly lived in the family home in Hartsdale for 40 years before moving to The Atria at Ardsley in 2004 and Cabrini of Westchester in Dobbs Ferry in 2010.
She loved gardening, walking and knitting. Kelly was a parishioner of Sacred Heart in Hartsdale for many years. She was an original participant in the Harvard Nurse's Study, which began in 1976 and has followed the health of registered nurses for 36 years.
A Mass of the Resurrection was celebrated Monday at Church of the Sacred Heart in Hartsdale. Edwards-Dowdle Funeral Home handled arrangements.
Memorial donations may be made to Friends of the Nurse's Health Study, 181 Longwood Ave., Third Floor, Boston, MA 02115.
- 1 Greenburgh Doctor Sued In Joan Rivers Death Faced Earlier Malpractice Suit
- 2 Better Safe Than Sorry? Many Hidden 'Costs' To Preparing For Storm
- 3 Edgemont, Scarsdale High Schools Rank In Top 10 Among New York's Best
- 4 Snow Likely Overnight Thursday In Greenburgh
- 5 Harrison Student, 23, Struck, Killed By Car While Walking Near Cornell