Contact Us
Greenburgh Daily Voice serves Ardsley, Edgemont & Greenburgh
Return to your home site


Greenburgh Daily Voice serves Ardsley, Edgemont & Greenburgh

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Spring Fling: How Warm Will It Get This Week?
police & fire

Firefighters Battle Fire At Greenburgh Condo

This story was updated at 1:10 p.m.

GREENBURGH, N.Y. - A fire at a Fairview condominium complex Tuesday may have been caused by a candle, fire officials said.

The Fairview Fire Department was called to 355 Old Tarrytown Road at about 11:50 a.m. Tuesday. Greenburgh Police Lt. Brian Ryan said there were no injuries in the fire. The fire was extinguished after about 30 minutes.

The fire was contained to a second floor apartment, though a unit on the first floor sustained water damage.

Francis Harper, 25, lives in the damaged apartment with his sister. He said he believes his sister may have left a candle burning when she left for work Tuesday morning.

"I was in the living room and I saw smoke in the vents and that's when I ran out of there," said Harper, who had been living in the apartment for three years. "I'm going to go to my mom's house to get my mind clear. I'm in a freaked out mood right now."

Greenburgh Police Sgt. Anthony McVeigh said the woman who lives on the first floor may have to sleep elsewhere Tuesday night because of water damage. However, she said the damage to her apartment was not serious.

Hartsdale, White Plains and Greenville firefighters helped to put out the blaze. McVeigh said emergency workers were at the scene within minutes.

Check back with The Daily Voice for updates.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Greenburgh Daily Voice!

Serves Ardsley, Edgemont & Greenburgh

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.