Firefighters Battle Fire At Greenburgh Condo

  • Comment
Fairview firefighters extinguished a blaze at a condominium complex on Old Tarrytown Road. Photo Credit: Samantha Kramer
Fairview firefighters extinguished a blaze at a condominium complex on Old Tarrytown Road. Photo Credit: Meredith Shamburger

This story was updated at 1:10 p.m.

GREENBURGH, N.Y. - A fire at a Fairview condominium complex Tuesday may have been caused by a candle, fire officials said.

The Fairview Fire Department was called to 355 Old Tarrytown Road at about 11:50 a.m. Tuesday. Greenburgh Police Lt. Brian Ryan said there were no injuries in the fire. The fire was extinguished after about 30 minutes.

The fire was contained to a second floor apartment, though a unit on the first floor sustained water damage.

Francis Harper, 25, lives in the damaged apartment with his sister. He said he believes his sister may have left a candle burning when she left for work Tuesday morning.

"I was in the living room and I saw smoke in the vents and that's when I ran out of there," said Harper, who had been living in the apartment for three years. "I'm going to go to my mom's house to get my mind clear. I'm in a freaked out mood right now."

Greenburgh Police Sgt. Anthony McVeigh said the woman who lives on the first floor may have to sleep elsewhere Tuesday night because of water damage. However, she said the damage to her apartment was not serious.

Hartsdale, White Plains and Greenville firefighters helped to put out the blaze. McVeigh said emergency workers were at the scene within minutes.

Check back with The Daily Voice for updates.

  • Comment

Comments

In Other News

News

Greenburgh Taxpayers Scurry To File Returns, Get Extensions

Obituaries

Marjorie F. Zern, 93, Former Elmsford Resident