Greenburgh Carbon Monoxide Leak Sends Five To Hospital

  • Comment
Con Edison officials were still on the scene at noon Wednesday after an early morning carbon monoxide leak sent five Greenburgh residents to the hospital.
Con Edison officials were still on the scene at noon Wednesday after an early morning carbon monoxide leak sent five Greenburgh residents to the hospital. Photo Credit: Samantha Kramer

GREENBURGH, N.Y. — Five people were taken to the hospital Wednesday morning after a Greenburgh apartment complex's hot water heater ventilator released dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

The Fairview Fire Department arrived at the Fairview Manhattan Park Apartment building, 90 Manhattan Ave., shortly after 6 a.m. when one of the building's residents called in saying his carbon monoxide detector had activated. Fire officials examined all 70 of the building's apartments as the carbon monoxide reached elevated readings on all seven floors.

Three women and two men who lived in different apartments on the second and seventh floors were taken to the hospital after experiencing dizziness from the gas, said Fairview Deputy Fire Chief Walter Murray. A dozen people living on the second- sixth and seventh floors were also evaluated by paramedics.

Fire officials have shut down the hot water heater and Con Edison "red-tagged" the scene, keeping the hot water heater off until repairs are completed, Murray added.

Con Edison officials at the scene said a plumber was still working on the problem by noon Wednesday.

  • Comment

Comments