TARRYTOWN, N.Y. – Motorists who feel a little sleepy can pick up free coffee or hot tea on the New York State Thruway Monday night.
A 42-year tradition continues at all of the Thruway travel plazas on New Year's Eve as officials remind motorists to take breaks from driving to prevent sleepiness.
“Sleepiness and fatigue are major contributors to highway accidents,” Thruway Executive Director Thomas Madison said in a statement. “All motorists should put safety first at all times.”
Free coffee and tea will be available from 11 p.m. Monday through 7 a.m. Tuesday at all of the 27 travel plazas because of a partnership with travel plaza operators and the Thruway Authority.
Thruway officials remind motorists that they should only stop on the roadway shoulder in cases of emergency.
- 1 Woodlands High School Boys Basketball Team Makes History As State Finalists
- 2 Stop & Shop Issues Recall For Several Frozen Food Items
- 3 Robber Walks Off With $90,000 From White Plains Gas Station, Police Say
- 4 WABC-TV Reporter Lisa Colagrossi Of Stamford Dies At 49
- 5 Greenburgh Police Investigating Gun Shots Fired Near Local Residence