ARDSLEY, N.Y. -- Ardsley High School's DECA club, now in its second year, sent 17 of its 40 members to compete against New York's best at the New York DECA 2016 State Career Conference in Rochester March 9-11.
DECA -- Distributive Educational Clubs of America -- is a national business club, with over 200,000 members worldwide. The organization prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management, in high schools and colleges around the globe.
At this year's state-level competition, Robert Epstein, a junior in Ardsley High School and the founder of the school’s DECA chapter, sought election to the New York State DECA's student board. "After successful acceptance of his application, Robert campaigned tirelessly and gave an inspiring speech to the conference of over 3,000 participants," a news release noted.
Delegates from each of the participating 105 DECA state chapters elected Epstein the 2016-2017 New York State DECA president.
Eight Ardsley students also won spots at an upcoming international competition. Sixteen of Ardsley's 17 competitors earned medals in their respective events. The eight that placed in the top four overall in their events earned spots at DECA's International Career Development Conference, in April in Nashville. Epstein will lead the New York state team in the competition, which has competitors from all 50 states and more than a dozen countries.
The Ardsley competitors who qualified to compete at the ICDC are:
- Jared Cole and Jonathan Fishgrund -- first place, Financial Services Team Decision-Making
- Yilinn Yang -- first place, Principles of Finance
- Arman Luczkow and Cyrus Luczkow -- second place, Business Law and Ethics Team Decision-Making
- Jonathan Epstein -- second place, Automotive Services and Marketing
- Josh Noble -- third place, Principles of Business Management and Administration
- Louis Waxman -- fourth place, Personal Financial Literacy.
Eight others earned medals for finishing in the top 10 of their events: Jake Rosenberg, Ryan Wiener, Sam Cooperman, Ben Stempler, Jacob Wise, Gaby Golombek, Marc Ohana and Robert Epstein.