DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. -- Mercy College has been awarded a major grant of just over 1.1 million dollars from the National Science Foundation (NSF) under the Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program. The grant is for a project to advance mathematics education, with a particular emphasis on veterans retraining for new careers as secondary mathematics teachers.
Mercy College Associate Professor of Mathematics Education Dr. William Farber, who is also a United States Navy Veteran, noted “as a veteran of the Navy who transitioned to teaching, I believe in the reciprocal strengths that veterans bring to the profession, and that teaching brings to veterans’ lives.”
Mercy College will recruit 10 veterans who have strong math backgrounds to qualify for full scholarships in a 14-month master’s degree program, with the intention of assisting 20 veterans over the period of the grant to complete their coursework and support their introduction into teaching. Mercy will collaborate with the Yonkers Public School District to train the program’s students.
The Mercy College program includes the following components:
- 36 graduate credits within 14 months of participation
- A stipend of $32,800 for full tuition costs
- 140 days of clinical internship in a Yonkers public secondary school under the mentorship of an experienced math secondary school teacher
- On-site clinical support from Mercy College faculty
- Cost-free preparation for certification examinations
- One year of follow-up support at school sites and online
- At least 24 credits in mathematics
- GPA of 3.0 or better
- Commitment to teach two years in a high-needs school
School of Education Accreditation Director and Co-author of the grant, Arlene Zimny, noted “we are convinced that these mature men and women will provide qualities of leadership, strength and team work to the profession, improve capacity- building in their schools, and act as professional and personal role models for secondary school students.”
For more information or to apply, contact Dr. William Farber, Program Director, Mercy College at email@example.com or 914.674.7675.