GREENBURGH, N.Y. Students in the Edgemont Union Free School District scored higher than the county average on state-mandated tests, according to recently released test score data from the New York State Education Department.
Students in the Greenburgh Central School District and Elmsford School District generally scored lower than the county average, except in third-grade English and math. The education department reported slighter higher scores across the state for students meeting or exceeding proficiency standards.
Test scores are divided into four levels: level one scores indicate a student's score is below standards, level two means students meet basic standards, level three means students have met proficiency standards, and level four means students have exceeded proficiency standards.
Edgemont saw more than 80 percent of each grade meet or exceed proficiency standards on the English and math tests, except for third-grade English. The lowest scores were in third- and seventh-grade English, and third- and fifth-grade math.
Greenburgh saw more than 50 percent of each grade meet or exceed proficiency standards on the English and math tests, except for fifth-grade English. The lowest scores were in fifth- and seventh-grade English, and sixth- and eighth-grade math.
Elmsford saw more than 50 percent of each grade meet or exceed proficiency standards on the English and math tests, except for sixth-grade English and eighth-grade math. The lowest scores were in sixth- and seventh-grade English, and fifth- and eighth-grade math.
Students who achieved scores in level three or four are said to be college-ready. The state education department has a breakdown of each scoring level on its website .
Statewide, 55.1 percent of all students in grades three through eight met or exceeded proficiency standards in English language arts (ELA) and 64.8 percent of all students in grades three through eight met or exceeded proficiency standards in math.
Percentage of students meeting proficiency standards, according to the state:
- Greenburgh ELA scores: 73.6 third grade, 53.3 fourth grade, 48.6 fifth grade, 53.6 sixth grade, 53 seventh grade and 61.1 eighth grade.
- Greenburgh math scores: 77.3 third grade, 62.1 fourth grade, 58.5 fifth grade, 52.2 sixth grade, 62.7 seventh grade and 51.4 eighth grade.
- Elmsford ELA scores: 67.1 third grade, 61.3 fourth grade, 60 fifth grade, 45.1 sixth grade, 51.5 seventh grade and 55.6 eighth grade.
- Elmsford math scores: 72.6 third grade, 67.9 fourth grade, 54.8 fifth grade, 75.3 sixth grade, 71.8 seventh grade and 46.2 eighth grade.
- Edgemont ELA scores: 79.3 third grade, 88 fourth grade, 88.3 fifth grade, 87.9 sixth grade, 84.2 seventh grade and 85.6 eighth grade.
- Edgemont math scores: 82.3 third-grade, 95.1 fourth-grade, 89 fifth-grade, 93 sixth-grade, 89.1 seventh-grade and 93.1 eighth-grade.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.