ELMSFORD, N.Y. – This is the game Maia Hood and her Alexander Hamilton girls' basketball teammates have been eagerly awaiting – Ossining.
Hamilton, the No. 1 team in the New York State Class C rankings, will host Ossining, No. 1 in the New York State Class AA rankings, at 6:15 p.m. Wednesday.
“I think this is our most-anticipated game of the season,” Hood said. “You have two teams ranked No. 1 in their classes playing each other. This is a big thing for Section 1.”
Ossining, 8-3 on the season, comes into the game riding a four-game winning streak. The Pride have defeated Christ the King, St. Anthony’s (Melville) and Irvington during this stretch. The Pride feature UConn-signee Saniya Chong, Section 1’s best all-around player, and Andra Espinoza-Hunter, one of the premier eighth-graders in Section 1.
Hamilton, which lost to Ossininig last year, is 12-0 this season. The 2012 Section 1 Class C champions have one of Section 1’s top seniors and players in Hood, who is averaging 23 points and 13 rebounds a game.
“We have a good feeling that the gym is going to be packed,” Hood said. “We are excited to play this game. We are the smallest Class C school and we are playing the No. 1 Class AA school and the best team in the section. We have to stay focused throughout the game.”
- 1 Greenburgh Police Investigating Gun Shots Fired Near Local Residence
- 2 Stop & Shop Issues Recall For Several Frozen Food Items
- 3 Robber Walks Off With $90,000 From White Plains Gas Station, Police Say
- 4 Elmsford Paramedics, Greenburgh Police Assist Mail Carrier
- 5 Suspect Apprehended In $90K White Plains Auto Shop Robbery